There’s Always Something to do in Kansas City
Explore the Area
- Boulevard Brewing Company
One of the largest specialty breweries in the Midwest.
- City Market
Farmers Market open on Sundays.
- The Ewing and Muriel Kauffman Memorial Garden
Beautiful botanical gardens.
- Kansas City Zoo
Come see animals from around the world.
- Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts
Everyone can experience excellence.
- National WWI Museum and Memorial
The world’s most comprehensive World War I collection.
- The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
One of America’s finest art museums.
- SEA LIFE Kansas City
Visit the Kansas City Aquarium.
- Union Station
Attend a variety of events throughout the year.
- Worlds of Fun and Oceans of Fun
The Midwest’s premier amusement park.
Planning to Move to Kansas City?
The Kansas City metropolitan area sprawls across 14 counties and two states. Avila University is on the south end of the area, less than a mile from the Kansas-Missouri state line. From campus, you’re within a 15-minute drive to The Country Club Plaza, The Truman Sports Complex, numerous biking and hiking trails, Longview Lake, and everything Kansas City.
The Red Bridge neighborhood is within walking distance of campus and is home to the Red Bridge Shopping Center with a variety of dining and shopping options, including a hardware store, and public
- Bus Service: RideKC serves Avila University with public bus transportation. The campus is on the Wornall 57 route.
- KC Light Rail: The nearest KS Streetcar stop is a 25-minute drive to Union Station, near downtown Kansas City.
- KS International Airport: Flights with major airlines are just a 45-minute drive from campus.
- Amtrak Station: Nationwide Amtrak train service makes getting to campus and exploring the rest of the Midwest easy, affordable, and green for Avila students. Avila is conveniently located less than 30 minutes from both the Kansas City and Lee’s Summit Amtrak stations. Six Amtrak trains serve the region daily, connecting the campus to 17 cities across Missouri and Illinois, plus Kansas, Texas, and more. This makes it a convenient method of travel to get between Avila and home, whether families are arriving on campus, students are heading home for Winter Break, or parents are coming for Homecoming.
Best of all, every Avila student receives a 15% discount when purchasing Amtrak tickets!
There are a lot of apartments available in Kansas City. If you are looking for a place closer to campus, it is recommended you look in the south part of Kansas City, Missouri. Towns to keep in mind near the campus are Grandview, Lee’s Summit, Leawood, and Martin City. Martin City is the closest to campus.
Questions to ask when renting an apartment:
- How long is the lease, and is the length of the lease flexible?
- What utilities are covered in the lease (heat, air-conditioning, cable, wi-fi, etc.)?
- Is there a laundry facility in the building? If so, is it free, coin-operated, etc.?
Explore available apartments:
Local Hotel Accommodations
- Days Inn and Suites by Wyndham, Kansas City South
- Econo Lodge, Belton Kansas City South
- Embassy Suites by Hilton, Kansas City Overland Park
- Extended Stay America, Kansas City Overland Park – Nall Avenue
- Hampton Inn, Belton Kansas City Area
- Holiday Inn and Suites, Overland Park – Convention Center, an IHG Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express and Suites, Kansas City Grandview
- Holiday Inn Express and Suites Lenexa, Overland Park Area, an IHG Hotel
- Home2 Suites by Hilton, Overland Park
- My Place Hotel, Overland Park
- WaterWalk Kansas City, Overland Park